I have talked before about the importance of menu planning and only buying what you need at the grocery store however; there are times when the unexpected happens and even the best-laid plans go awry. Sometimes life delays your scheduled menu planning and grocery shopping and you need to come up with a dinner or two to tide you over. Be prepared with a few quick and easy meal options for “just in case”. Here is a list of 6 things I always have on hand in my pantry specifically for times like this!
- Eggs! Eggs are a great last minute meal option and they can be ready fast! Omelettes, frittatas, eggs and toast, egg drop chicken noodle soup; there are so many meals to make with eggs. I suggest having a dozen or so eggs on hand at all times. Eggs have saved my bacon many times over the years! That being said…
- Bacon! Bacon is great to have on hand in the freezer. You can have it with eggs for a quick breakfast as dinner option, in BLT’s with soup or use it to top of salads or burgers.
- Frozen Vegetables! Frozen veggies are a good substitute in case you run out of fresh options before your next trip to the grocery store. I always have frozen peas and corn available to throw into recipes as needed. Egg drop soup is great with a handful of frozen peas thrown in. Add corn to chilli and salads or simple mix the two together as a veggie side is a great option for nights when you find yourself out of fresh options.
- Rice and Pastas! Rice and pastas are a staple to have in your pantry, because they last for a long time and are fast and easy to make. A can or two of tuna, pasta, some cream of mushroom soup and peas can make a make shift tuna casserole in about 30 minutes. You can add sautéed onion, peppers, a can of diced tomatoes and Italian sausage to rice for a fast and easy rice casserole.
- Soup! Soup of any kind is handy to have around at all times! Lipton’s Low Sodium Chicken Noodle is one of our favorites, as is good old tomato soup. Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches is a family favorite and great in a pinch. You can add an egg or diced veggies to Lipton Chicken noodle and add a sandwich or salad to make a great last minute meal.
- Canned Tuna Fish! Canned tuna fish is a great protein to have in your pantry. You can add it to pasta, to a green salad for a tuna salad or just plain with some steamed veggies on the side. It is easy to keep in the cupboard and perfect for whipping up a quick nutritious meal.
These are 6 items that I keep stocked in my home pantry! When things do not work out as I planned I have a few items to fall back on.